Welcome to THE Village... sort of... not really.

Welcome to the Toisan Lives blog!

Where does the sudden love of Toisan and desire to spread the good language come from? It stems from my childhood, to which I vividly remember conversing with my grandmother. I can still feel the effects of the spit-filled words and funny dialect that no one else could decipher.

Although my Chinese consists mostly of Cantonese, I still love a good conversation in Toisan. However, I have noticed that the language is dying and I am determined to keep it alive. How am I doing this? Most of my friends have relatives with a Toisan background and can understand the language. I speak as often as I can in Toisan to these friends, most notably Christopher Dea. They laugh when I converse with them in Toisan but they will only respond in English. They don't want their Toisan to be heard.

Therefore, I've come up with a great idea. If the good language will not be spoken, it can be expressed on a t-shirt! This will keep Toisan on the map. PLUS, wearing these shirts will bring all sorts of Toisan brothers and sisters together, especially the closeted Toisanese (you know who you are!). Imagine wearing a Toisan Lives t-shirt and meeting someone from the same village as you!



Visit our store to get your Toisan Shirts!

Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Toisan Shirts Are Here!!!




(To view large size, click on above image)

More designs to come...

5 comments:

  1. Your t-shirts were a hit for Xmas gifts to fellow Toishan descendants and their elders! What a great idea -- giftees generated some more phrases to consider:

    Oong-ma? [Are you cold?]
    Pei-tan [1000 yr. old egg]
    Mo yong [useless]
    Gai kooi [crazy man]

    Best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kitty for your comment. When I find some free time I'll try to figure out a graphic for some of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute idea! nice to find other fellow toisanese online - i recently started a blog at www.toisanpride.com as a way of remembering the legacy of Toisanese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Toisan Girl,

    I'm loving your blog. Definitely a legacy worth remembering. I'm definitely fond of all the history and the fond memories that people share from their experiences from being in a Toisan family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Toisan, thanks for following my blog. I love your tee-shirts and want to write about them and/or post a link on my blog to your site. I have Toisan friends in LA who would love them and I want to order some too! Are they all Crewneck, short sleeve tees? Ever think about making some V-necks for ladies (just asking) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete